Friday, May 08, 2009

Indian summer

Tonight one of my roommates invited some of our friends over and cooked Indian food. Yum! Everything turned out really well, but I was especially proud of the mint chutney I made. So I thought I might share the recipe.

Basically, all you do is take a bunch of herbs and stuff and chop it up in the blender. Here are the ingredients I used:

half a bunch of fresh cilantro, minus stems
a 3 oz package of fresh mint (about half as much as the cilantro)
one smallish onion
one green pepper (or two jalapeno peppers) including seeds, etc.
four cloves of garlic
a teaspoon of sugar
salt to taste
several dashes of cumin
a little canola oil (like one or two tablespoons, probably)
maybe a cup of water

I just chopped all these things up and then put them in the blender until it was smooth. Delicious! I was very pleased with how it turned out. It was as good as any of the mint chutneys I've had at Indian or Afghan restaurants.

The only problem is that this makes a LOT of chutney. Like five cups. And it doesn't keep very long. So I'm going to have it on my corn flakes tomorrow.

Super yum!

--"SUNSHINE" DAVE RAHIMI

(PS - I wanted to try this with avocado. I think it might make an interesting dip. But that's for next time.)

[UPDATE 5/12 : Leftover mint chutney is great with pork chops and grilled chicken. Not bad with pasta.]

2 comments:

Grettle said...

This would likely freeze really well in smallish freezer bags (heavier than sandwich, making them last longer in the freezer). I suspect you could enjoy it over the next few weeks that way.

Love,
Mom

Bet you thought I didn't keep up with this stuff. :)

the House of Payne said...

I never think of freezing leftovers...

By the way, this is easier to make than it sounds-- especially with a food processor. And it really was good with the pork chops. I would recommend it to you, but I know that Dad is not fond of cilantro.