Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Grasp the broom of reform

Today I get to do something I hardly ever get to do-- cast a vote in a competitive election. In fact, I think this might be a first.

I turned 18 in Kansas, and went to college in Utah, both of which are thoroughly Republican. How thoroughly? In 1992, Perot beat Clinton in Utah. And Kansas is so dominated by Republicans that some dumb Democrat went and wrote a book trying to explain it.

I've also spent almost 8 years in Massachusetts, which is practically a one-party state. It's the only state that voted for McGovern in 1972. When I pick up a ballot out here, I see mostly uncontested elections. And contested elections are as likely to have a third party candidate as a Republican.

So it's amazing to me that today I can cast a vote in an election that the Boston Globe now says is "up for grabs," although less than ten days ago they had Democratic candidate Martha Coakley up by 15 points.

The whole country is watching, and I get to be one of the lucky ones to vote! I don't know if I have ever been this excited to cast a ballot.

Yay democracy!

--CASA DE DOLOR

(Update 3:00 PM - I voted! And my roommate went with me to cancel out my vote! Hooray! Long live the republic!)

1 comment:

David said...

Yay America!