Friday, April 29, 2011

Restaurants of Nephi, part 3

Two of our most recent restaurant choices, J.C. Mickelson's and the One Man Band diner, are advertised from the highway, so I had high expectations for them. Or at the very least, I was curious. And so, my imaginary readers, are you. Or at least, that is how I imagine you. CONFORM TO MY IMAGINATION!

Anyway, the One Man Band is a pretty standard little diner with burgers and other comfort food. I did see one novel thing on the menu, a sandwich called a steamroller. It was described as a ham and cheese sandwich that was battered and fried. I wasn't sure what that would be like, but I couldn't pass it up. And it turned out better than I thought. It was fried on the grill instead of deep fried, so really it was like a french toast sandwich, which was surprisingly good, especially once I opened it up and added some tomato slices.

The most powerful woman in the universe got an Elvis omelette, which disappointingly did not include bananas and peanut butter. Although it did have bacon. But I still think this time my meal was superior. Yay me!

Before going to JC Mickelson's, I asked around and heard good things about their chicken noodle soup and their pot roast. So I ordered both, with vegetables on the side. The princess of power got country-fried steak and potatoes. The pot roast was good, but I think the steak was better. A lot of chicken-fried steaks are cheap and tough, but this one cut with a fork just beautifully. I also enjoyed the soup, which had a hearty broth and nice thick homemade noodles.

After dinner, we foolishly decided to order two pieces of pie. The peach was mostly unremarkable, although there was a nice hint of cinnamon. I'm not sure they used fresh peaches, but I don't think peaches are in season, so maybe that's no surprise. The strawberry rhubarb was excellent, though. It was was the right balance of sweet and tart. And the crust on both was good, albeit very substantial, which is not my first preference. Having ice cream on the side was a necessity.

Upon our return home, we entered into a food coma, from which we only narrowly emerged alive, but I still think Mickelson's has been my second best dining experience in Nephi so far.

--REDBEARD

No comments: