Saturday, March 26, 2011

Restaurants of Nephi, part 1

So the Princess of Power and I have decided to try every restaurant in Nephi, Utah. Tonight we ate at Mi Rancherito, a Mexican cafe on Main Street. It was full of white people, which usually is a red flag, but I enjoyed it.

The chips and salsa were nothing special, but not bad. The horchata was sweeter and milder than I usually see it, with less of that taste of burnt rice and cinnamon that I love. It was a little more gringo-friendly, which is not a bad thing.

The real treat was the Carnitas Michoacanas, which I had. It's bits of pork, fried, served with pico de gallo and whatnot on corn tortillas. And it came with rice, refried beans, sour cream, and guacamole. The way the carnitas were fried gave them a kind of crispy exterior that sealed in the juiciness. I thoroughly enjoyed them, especially with the guacamole.

All in all, very tasty. And I'm really looking forward to the next Nephi culinary adventure.

--YAHYA AL-RIIFI

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to eat some ethnically correct Mexican food when we get back to Utah.

Are you gonna come and help us unload next Monday?

the House of Payne said...

You guys are moving in this next Monday? As in April 4th?

Kam said...

That sounds heavenly. I'm right now plotting how I'm gonna get myself to Nephi, Utah. Did you really say Nephi?? I'm wondering just how many Mexican restaurants you're going to find there... list can't be endless, right? Anyway, your description of the carnitas sounds absolutely gorgeous (as the Brits say). And, it reminds me that I just moved thousands of miles away from anything even remotely close to good Mexican. Darn.

the House of Payne said...

Where did you guys move to? Are you back across the pond again?